Monday, August 12, 2013

Elite-- Rachel Van Dyken

So, even though I wasn't sure about this one when I started it, I am glad that I stuck it out, since it completely took me by surprise! I read the blurb from the author about it, and let me just say- you really are shocked to find out what is exactly going on in the book, because it just doesn't match up to the blurb at all. At least I don't think it does, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't great- because it really was!! I actually have a bit of a book hangover from this one. Mainly because of the cliffy- yeah, the dreaded cliffy. I think my hangover with this one is more out of frustration, because so many things were left unfinished and up in the air between Nixon (our hero) and Trace (our heroine). There is a bit of a love triangle thing starting up between the two of them and Chase, Nixon's cousin and I think of as best friend. It really made for an interesting story. Especially when all of the secrets of Nixon and Trace's intertwined pasts began to unravel and come to light. It really was a case of "everything you have ever known your life to be has been a complete lie." I felt so bad for Trace, as everything and everyone that she had trusted her entire life since she could remember, had lied to her, and kept the importance of who she really was from her. And the one person that she thought she would never be able to trust, was the only one that was honest with her- protecting her, willing to lay down his life for her, and loving her the entire time. Nixon, while at the beginning, was simply begging for me to punch him in the throat multiple times, more than redeemed himself by the end. Once I finally saw why he had to do things the way he did, I fell in love with him and his tortured soul. He simply damned himself long before any of us readers ever could. My heart broke for him once I saw why he was the way he was. I loved the way that he loves Trace, pure and deep, and that it has lasted almost their entire lifetime. It really reminded me of Hopeless and Losing Hope (Colleen Hoover- see the earlier reviews) in that respect. I only wish that once that Trace discovered who she was, she could have drawn a bit more strength from it, and relied on herself instead of Chase so much. I felt like she was leading him on even though she didn't realize it, because I could clearly see how Chase feels about her. Just another lovely twist in the next book, Elect, from what I read in the sneak peek of it. I really find myself anticipating Elect's release almost more than most other sequels, since I still have so many unanswered questions about things. But that doesn't take away from the fact that I loved this book, and can't wait to see more.
5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment