Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Ruin-- Rachel Van Dyken

OMG!!!!!!! My heart and soul is simply in pieces after reading this book!! I mean, I really had to make sure that it was all still beating and funtioning properly after finishing it, that's how much it affected me...... This one is PHENOMENAL!!!! I just cannot get out how good it is- seriously, there aren't even words for me right now. Definitely one of my new favorites!
Kiersten, a college freshmen meets Weston (Wes), on her first "real" day exploring the campus, and falls head over heels right away- even though she convinces herself that Mr. Sex on a Stick is very bad news for her and she needs to stay far, far away. Little does she know, fate has other plans, as not only is Wes her new RA, but he just so happens to have fallen head over heels for her on site as well. So awesome!! Love when that happens! However, knowing that he is stricken with the big C word, he knows that getting involved with her is incredibly selfish, and it will only lead to hurting her in the end, as he knows that his time is limited. He knows this, but she doesn't- and he isn't ready to tell her..... He just refuses to hurt her any more than he already knows will eventually happen when he has to undoubtedly leave her behind. So, he is determined that he will just be her friend- her best friend, even though it is ripping his heart to shreds not to make her his. But alas, the heart wants what the heart wants, and luckily for us readers, it has other plans- and that friendship eventually grows to something much more beautiful.
My heart slowly splintered into pieces with all of the torment that Wes endured by wanting to, but not knowing how to, tell Kiersten what was going on with him. And everytime, that something happened to him that made her even more suspicious, I would hold my breath, just knowing that was going to be the moment that everything burst wide open. So, imagine my shock when it happened the way it did! I was in tears, big fat tears rolling down my cheeks over it!! The only thing that kept my sanity was knowing that through it all, Kiersten had Gabe- god how I love Gabe.... He is the embodiment of swoonworthy, and I just wanted to jump into my Kindle and attack him! I fell head over heels with him, and the love he had for Kiersten and Wes- but I think, more for the love he had for Wes. The fact that he asked God to allow him to trade places- holy shit!! How could I love that man more?? I am SO hoping that maybe, just maybe, Rachel decides to grace us sometime in the future with a book about Gabe......... Please, oh please dear Rachel- I beg of you!! ;)
So, I mentioned how my heart was slowly splintering away throughout the book, well it finally imploded and was completely obliterated during the hospital scenes. I mean, nothing left in that hollow chest cavity- nothing at all- I was completely wrung dry. I thought at one point that I would not be able to finish the book- not because it was bad, but because I was deathly afraid to see the ending, I mean I was terrified. I didn't want to know that the beautiful love that Kiersten and Wes shared wouldn't get to finish its story- I didn't want to believe that it would get cut short after only three months. But I had to finish, I just couldn't stand NOT knowing, so I powered forward- and was shocked, I mean thrilled- no, elated. Oh hell, I don't know, I just can't tell how how incredible that feeling was to see the ending that I saw. It was a beautiful ending to an incredibly beautiful story- maybe one of the most beautiful that I have ever read. I cannot say enough about this book- and I cannot tell you how insane you would be by passing it up. I don't care if you get it for free, 0.99 or hell, even if you have to pay full price for it- just get this damn book. It will change you, I promise- its beauty will do that- there is no way that it can't.
5 of the biggest shiny stars ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


*On a side note, I know that you all can tell how much this book touched and affected me, and those of you that personally know me- you know why that is. But for those that do not, just over two years ago, I lost one of my best friends- a beautiful woman, and one of the most amazing people that I ever had the privelege of knowing, to this horrible disease. I lost her. And it gutted me. Deep, right to the bone. I now have a huge memorial tattoo for her on my left forearm, so that everyday I get to look down and see a piece of her, and know that she is always- always- with me. No matter what. So, yeah, this book- it hit that raw nerve, but in the best way. So, yeah, it affected me- and I hope, truly hope, that it does the same for you...........

No comments:

Post a Comment